What is TAAU
T.A.A.U. are initial of Tropical Australia Algae Utilize,meaning the only company in tropical Darwin for Human consumption Algae research and commercial production base.
Australian Spirulina and TAAU Australia
TAAU Australia Pty Ltd was established in 1996 and is the only company licensed and patented (with a 20 year Australian Patent) to commercially grow the health food Spirulina in Darwin in the Northern Territory of Australia. Australian Spirulina is 100% local and 100% Australian made, not imported.
We do not use any herbicides or pesticides while growing Spirulina. Our product grows in pure pollution free ponds, and fed only top quality nutrients in crystal clear mineral water.
The Company development followed the following steps:
- 1996~1997 submitted the company proposal to the Northern Territory Government Departments, (Land Department, Environment & Water resource Department).
The most important part of this proposal was to apply for the import permit of the Spirulina live culture from Taiwan under Darwin Aquaculture Centre assistance.
The funds injected up to this stage were about AU$200,000.
- 1997~1998 The Business plan was approved and suitable Crown land was found. The construction and land development plan began and the first testing bore (to ensure water quality) and the first building was finished, which included labs and a warehouse. Up this stage the funds injected were about AU$500,000.
- 1998 ~1999 Received the live culture from Federal Government Quarantine Authority and began lab experiments. On site small research and experiments were carried out and a small scale of pilot ponds and growing facilities were set up. At this stage the mission was to find the best formula and other growing factors to suit the local conditions.
About AU$1,000,000 was invested up this stage.
- 1999~2000 The initial R & D was completed and company internal assessment of this project were positive and successful. A company board meeting made the decision to bring the project into commercial production and to start expanding the facilities into commercial scale. 96 (50 M X 10M) growing ponds and seeding ponds were constructed. A contract for the key equipment of the whole project - the Spray Dried System was signed and the accumulated investment at this stage was about AU$3,500,000.
- 2000~2001 Small scale production was carried out. An attempt to apply for a patent for related R & D was achieved from our experimental results. All the equipment imported from overseas was assembled and we started the small scale commercial pilot to ensure the system would work as well as originally expected.
A small volume of the trial product was successful yielded from the growing facility. The trial sample was sent to several individual Labs, and all the results collected from all of the labs confirmed the product met high standard requirements.
A Growing patent application was submitted to IP Australia. The first year trial produced about 4 tonnes of Spirulina powder which was exported to Taiwan before the end of 2001.
The accumulated investment now was about AU$4,000,000.
- 2002 Trail mass production started, the scale of production was 50 % of full capacity. The goal for this stage was to try to get more data to accurately work out the real running costs, (fertilizer consumption rate, exchange rate for product yield, labor costs, gas and electricity costs etc.).
The production for year 2002 was about 20 tonnes of dried powder. To increase the products value the company began planning to set up a tablet making plant on site, and try to turn the powder in to the tablets and package them on site.
Due to production costs beign higher than Asian countries such as China, India and Thailand, the company here had to concentrate on higher quality and value of the product and market.
Working with other Science based research organisations for human medical purposes, we provided special samples for research and achieved some milestone progress. We believe we can create another high addition value market in the future if human tests are completed.
We received 20 years of Australia Patent application grant from the Australia Government. We will apply for a world patent in the near future.
- 2003 The tableting facility is finished and has been approved by Health Department for Spirulina production. The trial tableting system is successful. The company product's Logo been design and registered. The products is ready to launch to the market. We expect total production will reach 50~ 60 tonnes this year.
- 2003 Sep, TAAU Australian received Australian Government R & D taxconcession grant.
- 2003 Oct. TAAU Australia is the winner of year 2003 Australia NT Export award Emerge Export Award Winner.
Certificate and plate of Export award Winner
- 2003 Nov. TAAU Australia was final list of Australian Exprt award .
Certificate of Australian Export award final list.
- 2004 Jul , TAAU Australia successful export story publiship on Austrade official website.
TAAU was Australian Northern Territory Export Award finalist, again!
TAAU Australia Pty Ltd, R& D ( Research & Development ) team, Mr Bell Huang and Mr Gary Huang were nominated as Northern Territory Innovation award finalists.
Company team leader Mr. Bell Huang and TAAU Australia's business success story published on the Australian Government printed "2006 Diary Of Australia - A Diary Of Multicultural Events".
- 2006 Sep
- 2006 Oct
TAAU Australia Pty Ltd won 2 of 2006 Export Award, both NTICN Manufactures Industry Award and Agribusiness Award again!
2006 Export Award NTICN Industry Award
2006 Export Award Agribusiness Award
Photo of 2006 Export Award Agribusiness Award
Photo of 2006 Export Award NTICN Industry Award
Greeting letter from NT Chief Minister Hon Clare Martin
" New export business are important to the Territory's economic base successful exporting of Spirulina to Asian markets is the proof that Territory businesses such as yours can meet this demand and offer products that are top quality "
click picture to see original letter
top of page ^
Order options and pricing information for Spirulina pills and powder
All about Spirulina
Comprehensive information about Spirulina including benefits, scientific evidence etc...
- Spirulina FAQ's
- Why choose Spirulina?
- Typical Analysis
- Compared to other Vitamin sources
- How to compare Spirulina
- Spirulina recipes
- Alternative ways to use Spirulina
- Nutrition Information
- Tips before you buy Spirulina
- New food labelling system
- New formula series
- products information
- Customer feed back
Corporate information, location and contact details
License & Related Document
- Certificate of food Business Reg.
- Australian only Growing License
- Permit for production
- Spirulina as food (not medicine)
- Trading mark Register
- 20 years Australian Growing Patent
- Certificate of Original (Aus)
Spirulina Analysis Reports
Honor and Awards
- Ausindustry NT News (report)
- NT Local News paper report 1
- NT Local News paper report 2
- Austrade Export successful story
- Year 2003 NT Export award winner
- Year 2003 Australian Export award National final list
- Greeting letter from Minister
- Greeting Letter from NT Minister
- 2003 Aus. Export award case study
- 2003 Aus. Export award reports.
- 2004 Jun Austrade trade mark
- 2006 Diary of Australia ( Dec. 06) by Australian Government
- 2006 Nov. Territory Q magazine
By NT Government
- 2013 World most pure Spirulina
2006 Australian Export Awards
- 2006 Australia NT Export Award
Agibusiness Award Winner
- 2006 Australia NT Export Award
Manufacters Industry Award winner
- 2006 Australian Export Award National final list
- 2006 Nov. Greeting Letter from
NT Chief Minister Hon Clare Martin
- 2006 Nov. Greeting Letter from
Ministrer for Trade Hon Warren Truss
- 2006 Oct. Greeting Letter from
Minister for Indusry, Tourism & Res.
The Hon Ian Macfarlane